Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Climbing

I like the summer! Had a couple of 'afternoon scives' this week and last with my housemate. Plymouth may not be the centre of the universe, but I'm gonna enjoy the summer being half an hour from gorgeous coast path walks and lovelly beach swimming spots.

Yesterday evening I was kindly led up two routes at the Dewerstone for some climbing by a much more experienced climber from UK Climbing.

The routes were only Diff and V diff, but for me, it felt like the first time I'd actually achieved much on 'proper' routes- ie outdoor ones not at the wall! My first Multi-pitches as well even though I was only seconding. I knew I liked climbing but hadn't realised what a great buzz it would be being made safe in a belay halfway up a wall, well above the tree line, to belay the leader on the next pitch! Wicked location and topped out of the last pitch of our second route just as the sun was starting to set. No photo's coz I not good enough to safely carry my camera with me yet! So thanks guys for the evening, and for your patience in teaching a total novice basic things... such as tell the leader the ropes running out BEFORE there's none left.

I wouldn't say I was praying all night... but I knew God last night, in my physical body and the challenges, in the views and the exposure, in the company with snatched conversation while belaying and the longer conversations on the walk out. Feeling pumped but happy... just wish I could have taken Sandee!

And on the subject of climbing this video is ace!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home