Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Back to reality

I've spent the last 11 days away - having a great but challengeing time.

Last week I was on an Outdoor and Residential Youth Work module- which was spent residentially out of doors in the Peak District. It's a beautiful place with some fab hills, fab routes, and great views. Physically it was challenging as I'm unfit- but not as much as I expected. Emotionally it was tough as I grappled with group dynamics stuff. (The group were amazing and I've done a lot of growing in confidence which I never expected!) Spiritually it was good to be in the hills coz that's where I've always met God. I feel like someone has hit reset on my overheating life and I can now get back to training, healthy eating, time outside and fitness- the things that my life feels right when I'm doing! We spent lots of time talking about the spiritual and educational benefits of being outdoors for young people- and experiencing these benefits for ourselves. There are some photo's taken by one of the tutors here- see if you can spot me in the sunshine attire and with hair looking very flat and fluffy!

Then I was on a two day retreat to Worth Abbey. This was er... different. I don't think that Benedictine Monastic Spirituality is my path... in fact I feel like I was more nurtured spiritually the week before.

And now I'm back to essays- lots of outdoor gear to sort out- the kettle is broken- the car needs fixing- playing catch up at work. I'm determined though to rework my routine so that it involves more regular excercise, and more regular time in the hills and by the sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home