Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre

In todays news are reports of a new multi-agency unit set up specifically to target internet paedophiles.

I'm glad this is being done, and I think a multi-agency unit has to be a good thing.

I like that they're considering empowering children to report those they are suspicious of by copying and pasting the conversation they're having into the CEOP.

However, I'm a little uncomfortable that they're going to do some of their work by posing as children on the web to attract paedophiles to them. I don't know why I'm uncomfortable. Maybe it's just a good undercover technique... but posing as a child in a children's chat room doesn't seem entirely right.

And I also wonder if they'd have done better to keep quiet about it- kept it as undercover- or are they imagining that all paedophiles are stupid?

I'd be interested to know what other people's gut reactions are, as well as thought through reactions.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:02 pm, Blogger Rainbow dreams said…

    This is something I do worry about - hear stories of and am concious I need to be aware of for my children - we have already had conversations about msn and sam is only 8 yrs old - anything that can possibly help to safeguard our children has to be good.
    Recently a child of 13 was sending e mails to my msn account asking to chat to me - when I asked her if anyone knew what she was doing she said her Mum did - and when I came all motherly and told her I was who I said I was but she couldn't assume everyone would be and I didn't think she should send ay more e mails, she said it was cool and stopped sending them. I wondered if it really was a child or if it was a policeman or someone checking - but it did make me stop and think seriously about it all.
    Some paedoophiles may be put off by them broadcasting it but others are probably so driven they won't be put off for long.
    Am pleased there is something out there taking this seriously.
    Have forwarded the link to some friends of mine who I know would be interested too - thanks Katie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home