Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Shyness

David's Blog has a nice quote about The Beauty of Shyness, indirectly from from Henry Nouwen's Website.

I used to see myself as a shy person. I had lot of energy, and a lot to say, but tended to keep it hidden through fear or lack of confidence. I think this is different though, for me there was a bouncy, loud, mouthy, not shy individual waiting to bounce out. I really value people who are quieter though. I have some wonderful friends who it takes a little longer to get to know as they are quieter with who they are, you have to really want to get to know them to do so. And I think that is a beautiful thing, and we don't do them justice by saying that shyness is always something to be overcome.

In Nouwen's book The Wounded Healer, he talks about making space in our homes and in our lives for those we care for a listen to, and to do this there must be a withdrawal of ourself. I like this, and as a non shy extrovery bouncy loud person it's something I need to work on.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:06 pm, Blogger Rainbow dreams said…

    Thanks for the links - I like this as a naturally shy person who has struggled against it :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home