Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Dreams for the Church

http://goodinparts.blogspot.com/2005/06/dare-to-dream.html has this lovely hymn on her blog about dreams for the church.

I dream of a church that joins in with God's laughing
as she rocks in her rapture, enjoying her art:
she's glad of her world, in its risking and growing:
'tis the child she has borne and holds close to her heart.
--
I dream of a church that joins in with God's weeping
as she crouches, weighed down by the sorrow she sees:
she cries for the hostile, the cold and no-hoping,
for she bears in herself our despair and dis-ease.
--
I dream of a church that joins in with God's dancing
as she moves like the wind and the wave and the fire:
a church that can pick up its skirts, pirouetting,
with-the steps that can signal God's deepest desire.
--
I dream of a church that joins in with God's loving
as she bends to embrace the unlovely and lost,
a church that can free, by its sharing and daring,
the imprisoned and poor, and then shoulder the cost.
--
God, make us a church that joins in with your living,
as you cherish and challenge, rein in and release,
a church that is winsome, impassioned, inspiring;
lioness of your justice and lamb of your peace.

Kate Comptston

I want to dream those dreams again. I've been told often that I'm too naive about the church, that she will never become more than an oppresssive institution, but I don't want to beleive in that. I want to believe in her, expect the best from her. I want to dream that dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home