Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Lessons From the Rock Face

Well, lessons from the climbing wall really but rockface sounded better!

I've been climbing today at
www.bristolclimbingcentre.com It's a fab centre, and great use of a church. Might suggest a refurbishment and redecoration of our place to the vicar!

Got me thinking though, as I started climbing tougher routes, there were times when where I expected to be a foot/hand hold there just wasn't everything to grab. Kinda feels similar with where I'm at in faith just now. Whereas before there'd have been something easy to hang stuff on, for example like the 'God's in Control' thing, or 'The Bible is literal and answers every question' I'm suddenly finding myself unwilling to accept those easy answers, which leaves me scrabbling for a hold on it all sometimes.

I really like the stuff in New Kind of Christian about when you're scared of falling away from God you may actually fall into Him instead. Psalm 139 is fab for me. Where ever I go, (in my thinking) if it's to the ends of the earth (however wacky it gets?) God is there and His hand is with me, and I will not fall away from Him.

What things are there for others that were pegs to hang stuff on but now just don't work anymore?

Oh God, help me to believe in that, please.
Help me to take confidence that I won't wander or fall away from you.
Cause that confidence to push me to bigger steps where I may fear falling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home