Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Word of God...

... or not?

I believe the Bible was written by man, inspired by God. I believe it to be the story of a nation and their interaction with the Divine, not a book of instructions and one hit answers for 21st Centuary Living. I believe it was written from the man's perspective, not from God's.

I'm not saying it's 'Just a story' I believe it's a very good very important story.

I'm not saying it's 'irrelevant' I believe it's very relevant.

But with all the room for human errors and human perspectives that this allows for, I'm not sure either that I can be convinced it's the 'Word of God'. And I'm not sure if it's ok to be not sure about this.

On the subject of Bible's, a lecturer commented that this was very amusing. How do you like your Bible's everyone?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 1:34 pm, Blogger Kates said…

    Hi Nikki

    I agree that the bible is a story - to me its the story of part of mankind's journey trying to make sense of God and the world. Just like anyone's journey it is full of the good, the bad and the ugly! I think sometimes the people who wrote in the bible just got it wrong (which some would say is heretical I know!) but that doesn't invalidate it or make it worthless - in fact if we can learn from their journey then it can be very helpful. If you take it literally though I think it can be a dangerous thing and brings lots of judgement, arrogance and prejudice that I am pretty sure God (assuming he exists!) wouldn't want to be identified with. I do sometimes wonder if he inspired it why he didn't just make it simpler...but then again this goes back to the idea of it being a story of mankind's journey to discover God - leave out the bits that they got wrong and you leave out a whole part of the journey that we can learn from.

     
  • At 2:15 pm, Blogger Piet said…

    here here

    ps. not an awe inspiring comment but I wanted to express my accord with this blog and it's comment.

     
  • At 10:52 am, Blogger Nikki said…

    Why thankyou Piet! I'm doing the same course as you. What year are you in?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home