Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Detached youth work seems easier in the rain!

I've not been out in the rain for a detached session before. Somehow the young people we met were more keen to chat than usual. Why?

Well, I can only speculate but:

Maybe the ones who don't have anywhere else when it's raining are the ones who really need a youth provision? Maybe the giggly bitchy girls I find it hard to work with go home when it's raining, and are hard to work with becuase they don't really 'need' youth work? I've often been criticised for having too much of a bias towards less advantaged young people- but maybe it's just becuase the (mostly lads) who are outside in the square whatever the weather are actually easier to work with? If it means good quality constructive conversations, I can cope with rain running down my neck because of course, I couldn't possibly condone the wearing of a hoodie with the hood up...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home