Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Am I a manager or a youth worker?

Or can I be both?

Nothing too deep and meaningful going on in my head at the moment.

I'm celebrating passing my uni fieldwork, becoming a JNC Nationally Qualified worker by spending the summer launching a community youth project. In reality this means numbing my brain in getting together a constitution and a million different policies and statements. This was why I don't want to get into management. I do what I do as I like the face to face work with the young people.

It's made me think about the way we train workers though. I'm not trained in accounting, budgetting, or legalese (the language of constitutions). Should youth workers be leaving these to the experts and employing specific people to do them, freeing the youth worker up for face to face work? Or are these essential skills which anyone who's going to do more than sessional work should be equipped with and confident in the use of?

oh... and word of the week is 'hereinafter'. Haven't a clue what it means but it's in our constitution several times!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home