Thinking the Journey

Mountaineer, Friend, Partner, Youth Worker, Spiritual Adventurer of No Fixed Abode.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Is youth work too task focussed?

I have the privilege of working alongside a fantastic colleague in the project we're setting up. She's a volunteer and works her *rse off for the young people and the project, and has the confidence to challenge me when she thinks I'm off on one or doing things the wrong way or my practice could be better.

The other day she pointed out how focussed on objectives I was. Always wanting to sit down at the start of the evening and work out what we wanted to achieve that evening, and then evaluate at the end, often focussed on the outcomes of Every Child Matters and Plymouth's youth work curriculum. She suggested that I was focussing too much on these, to the detriment of building relationships with the young people. When I started in youth work this was my main objective- a relationship of trust where I can get alongside the young person in whatever they need me alongside them in, but since I've trained professionally, I think I agree I have become very outcome focussed.

So is youth work that is as outcome focussed as we are encouraged to make it today doing so at a detriment to the supportive relationships we can build with young people? Have we become too outcome focussed? Are we trying to take young people on a journey of our own agendas (or Every Child Matters' agendas) too quickly these days? What would happen if we went back to making our main objective 'building positive and supportive relationships with young people'?

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think a lot of youth work is task focussed enough! I would agree there are questions about the relevance of some tasks and possibly about the bureaucracy related to recording some tasks - but the remedy then is to change the tasks not remove them. There has to be much more to supporting young people than just relationship building. Providing a programme that helps young people become successful at developing their own relationships would be good youth work - spending time just chatting to young people isn't!

    I wrote something similar a while back here:
    http://www.breakfastsociety.com/2007/08/09/what-makes-a-good-paid-youth-worker/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home